Thursday, July 31, 2014

EDTECH 504 Reflection

Reflecting on my experience in completing all of the course readings and assignments for EDTECH 504 (Theoretical Foundation of Educational Technology), I consider what I have learned and how I can apply this knowledge in my own teaching. My undergraduate degree is not in education; therefore, I did not have much exposure or background knowledge of learning theory prior to taking this class. Perhaps the most important thing I learned this semester was simply gaining an understanding of learning theories and how they can be applied to the understanding of the learning process that occurs through the use of different pedagogical approaches. Along with this newly gained foundation, I have learned the value of understanding learning theory in assessing different tools and approaches.

My thoughts about teaching have been impacted in that I no longer simply teach a certain way or use a particular tool without thinking about how the learning process it employs can be explained within the framework of a certain theory. I no longer only think about what is being learned. I also think about how it is being learned.

I will definitely use the skills and ideas from this class in my teaching and professional practice. The focus of my research paper was on social learning theories such as connectivism and communities of practice. I am impressed by the way these theories can be applied to learning through technology tools. I will implement specific tools in my teaching to promote learning through social connections such as blogs, social network sites, and chat threads.

STANDARD 3: UTILIZATION: Candidates demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to use processes and resources for learning by applying principles and theories of media utilization, diffusion, implementation, and policy-making.

Assignment – One page paper on a particular learning theory
In completing this assignment, I was able to meet the standard Identify major theoretical schools of thought by describing how Vygotsky’s sociocultural learning theory falls within the major school of thought of cognitivism and forms the basis of social constructivism.

Assignment – Synthesis Paper
This assignment allowed me to demonstrate mastery in describing and accounting for the origins of major theories and their influence on educational technology by explaining in my paper how Vygotsky’s ideas have shaped and influenced the creation of theories such as connectivism and communities of practice. These theories influence technology by encouraging learning through social connections. I was also able to contextualize emerging theories of learning within the framework of advancing technological innovations by using theory to explain the learning that occurs through the use of collaborative technology tools.

Assignment – Discussion Three

            In this assignment, I was able to apply educational technology theories to practical development contexts by identifying specific technology tools that could be implemented in teaching to promote the theoretical ideas of connectivism and communities of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment